Saturday, July 15, 2006

"Where are you from?!"

Ok , so, this happens soooo often that I thought it deserved a whole blogg entry to itself!!!

So I’m sure that I have mentioned before that I always get asked where I am from, and things haven’t really changed much over the past 3 months (from India to Indonesia). More some unknown reason Asians are intrigued about my nationality and more to the point my ethnicity… So much so that it drives even the most shy and retiring of people, such as monks to approach me in the street and strike up a conversation with me.
Don’t get me wrong I love it, I speak to more locals than most because of it, and its great. The point is, that when someone asks me where I am from and I reply London… they give me funny look as to say ‘Are you sure about that young lady’ often accompanied by a look of total bewilderment (what they really wanna know, is what my ethnic origin is, and that leads on to me explaining how I was ACTUALLY born in the UK… “No really, I was!”. I put it down to the fact that most of these people have never left home, and they just assume that all white people are either from the UK if they are arrogant and drunk, Oz if they are quirky and USA if they are loud and obnoxious, all Black people are from Africa, and all brown peopl are from India!!! (No offence intended).
It was however taken to a whole new level today when a passer by greeted me (as strangers often do in Asia) with “hello” followed by “Do you speak English”… lol
I just giggled and walked on.

p.s. – I love Bali

;o)

xx

No comments: