Thursday, April 06, 2006

‘Do I speak Indian?’!

Well after a harrowing 3 day stay in Bombay, we departed for Goa on a sleeper train. We, it seemed had been bundled together with all the other travelers. There were 6 of us sharing sleeping quarters, 3 guys and 3 girls. We all got along quite well, and just as everyone was settling in for the long haul, a sudden high pitch screaming disturbed the silence. One of the other girls just started freaking out as it happened a cockroach had flown in through one of the windows and on to her bag... she started flicking it and managed to flick it directly between one of the other guys legs, he fumbled around his groin area trying to retrieve the creature the whole time this girl screaming... It was rather amusing to say the least and a good icebreaker, even the locals were laughing. Aside from that and me being asked if I spoke Indian by another traveler... really... ?!... (is it just me that seems to know that there is no such language as ‘Indian’?) the journey was pretty uneventful, had my first traditional Indian toilet experience and had uncomfortable nights unrest.

Arrived in Thivim and managed to secure a gang of travelers that didn’t seem to have any direction so just followed Matt and me to Anjuna taking 2 buses and a bit of a walk with our packs.
It’s beautiful! It’s peaceful and has a beach... a real one, not like in Bombay, and the people are friendly. They speak a different dialect of Hindi, but still understand what I’m saying, which is a bit of a result ;o)
Went to the famous Anjuna flea market yesterday... its vast. People selling all sorts of seemingly useless trinkets. Matt bought his first pair of flip-flops and I bought a couple of tops, and ‘yes’ we haggled... would be rude not to... probably still got ripped off... hey ho.
Gonna stay here another night then head to the Capital Panjim.

Guess I’ll give you an update from there...

From Anjuna..

Yours Sity
xx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy organization! Awesome website Sity. I probably would have set one up too when I was traveling, unfortunately being computer illiterate stopped me. Glad to hear your trip has started! Remember if a man pulls up in a dirty van and asks you to help him find his lost puppy. He’s probably lying……….. It’s most likely a cat. Have a drink for me on one of your stops. Cheers Jason from Vancouver

Anonymous said...

It's great to be able to follow your goings on - Adrian Mole eat your heart out! Take care & Enjoy. Nix from Lilly

Anonymous said...

sity you are making me want to go to india! maybe i will come and meet you! keep up the updates, i look forward to hearing about your next stop, give me a list of ur planned route - i am seriously getting travelling bug again - and being more adventurous with my thoughts, so maybe in a few months....
love you lots babe Eleni xxxxxxxxx