Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Totally Tet

And there was me thinking that I would be back in London for good by now… It’s crazy how quickly situations and circumstances have the ability to change… and after preparing myself to move back to London 3 weeks ago, being homeless, possibly jobless and definitely clueless, I now find myself back in Vietnam with a spanking new apartment in Singapore… Inundated with work and job offers with the prospect of working in Cambodia and Australia and definitely another year to spend in Asia!

I’m still not sure that all this is a good thing, but once again… the option of, well, having options can’t be totally dismissed… after all experiencing life back at home over the Tet Holidays was a real eye opener. It gave me firsthand experience of the effects that the current economic climate is having on people’s lives. It’s pretty easy to distance yourself from it all when you are on the other side of the world, working in a developing country where recession isn’t even in the vocabulary! Can’t miss something you never had, hey?!

I thought that knowing where I would be for the next year, at least, would mean that I could start making some solid plans.. you know things like settling down, looking for a new job, starting my career… like hell! Things are still as ‘up in the air’ as they have ever been. I had planned on leaving my current job to move on to somewhere where I had more of a chance of developing myself, and where I could be grounded for a while, but to be fair the chance to travel some more is somewhat appealing, so maybe the career will have to be put on hold for a little while longer?! I even thought that if the my stint in my current role left me completely unemployable then I would go back and study… yes, that’s right… STUDY!!! I think it’s just been long enough for the pain of assignments and exams to have numbed… or maybe I’m just crazy…? No comments please.

Options, options, options!
Sity
x

No comments: