Monday, October 13, 2008

Good Morning Vietnam!

And trust me… it was morning… around 4am on Saturday when we set of Ho Chi Min City, aka Saigon…

This weekend I ticked off another location of places that I have always wanted to visit, and one that I missed on my first time round….
I didn’t really know what to expect from Vietnam… it’s strange ‘cos living in Singapore really dilutes your image of the ‘real’ Asia…. Singapore is so developed and commercial, sometimes it’s easy to forget that you are Asia at all, and surrounded by most of the worlds developing countries… It’s shocking to take a bus or boat across the boarder into Malaysia and see the difference in lifestyle, culture, infrastructure etc etc.
Anyway I’m rambling… Vietnam was great… it’s been a while since I visited somewhere a bit…. Um… well, ghetto I guess. The people were sweet and friendly, the food was great that the roads were scary.. what more could a girl ask for… lol?!
The adventure began at the airport from the crazy visa lady to the dicing with death cab ride to the hotel… you should have seen this thing… as my man said ‘It was worse from the inside than out… and that’s what was most worrying’… Anyway we finally made it to the hotel… a masterpiece in the hustle and bustle of the smoky city center located on the edge of the Saigon River.
The city is pretty small and once we had our bearings we managed to take in pretty much all the major points of interest in the first day… walking around the war museum was pretty moving, it helped me to understand why there are sooo many physically challenged people in Vietnam… it’s quite heart renching… another reason probably steams from it being impossible to cross a road, or pavement in fact without having two pairs of eyes… Honestly it was a team effort to be able to get across the street, not just some of them…. ALL of them! I’m proud to say after a few near misses (which is all it takes) we had it nailed :o)
It’s a shame we didn’t have more time to explore the rest of the country but from what I did get to experience I really liked Vietnam, most of all the people from the smiley coconut sellers to random’s we asked for assistance who’d bend over backwards to help.
Hopefully I’ll get to go again soon but in the mean time I have a great weekend to store in my memory banks.

Cheers

Sity

X

Thanks Big Red

No comments: